Tips to Follow After Root Canal Treatment
If you have had an extremely infected or decayed tooth, then you may have needed a root canal treatment with your dentist. Your dentist has no doubt expressed the importance of taking care of your mouth after your root canal treatment. It is vital in preventing infection and keep your overall body healthy. Read on to learn of six more tips to follow after your root canal treatment.
- Take your prescriptions as directed. To avoid any further pain, you will most likely be happy and eager to take your prescribed medications from your dentist. If they have prescribed you antibiotics, be sure to take them so as not to gain more infections.
- Pay attention to your pain levels. Your pain after a root canal treatment can typically be treated with over-the-counter medications. Discomfort is common after this treatment. However, if you are experiencing lasting pain, then be sure to contact right away. This could be a sign of an infection.
- Keep the area clean. It is vital you treat your mouth well after a root canal treatment. Keep up good brushing and flossing habits to ensure a healthy smile.
- Be careful not to put pressure on your infected tooth. Your mouth will be especially tender after your treatment. It may be wise to invest in a mouthguard if you have the habit of grinding your teeth at night.
- Avoid certain foods. You may want to avoid chewy or hard foods right after your treatment. You may have a sensitivity to hot or cold foods as well.
- Consider getting a crown for your tooth. A dental crown will help to support your tooth and may help in avoiding future treatments down the road. Talk to your dentist and see if a dental crown is right for you.