Denture Care Tips
It’s normal to have a lot of questions about your dentures as soon as you get them. Not the least important among these is, “How do I take care of them?” After all, you want your dentures to last as long as you do. Let’s consider together a few tips to help you extend the lifespan of your dentures.
Caring For Your Dentures
- Be gentle with your dentures. No matter how quality their construction, any set of dentures can be damaged with rough handling. Use a case during transport and be careful not to drop them or bash them against the sink while cleaning.
- Brush your dentures twice per day, just as you would your natural teeth. Dentures need to be regularly cleaned of food debris as well as adhesive remnants that can be a breeding ground for harmful bacteria.
- Rinse dentures after snacking and meals to remove food particles. It is also recommendable to rinse the mouth.
- Brush with a denture toothbrush. Why? Toothbrushes formulated for dentures are softer and formulated not to damage the dentures during cleaning.
- Soak the dentures in cleaning solution overnight. There are many great cost-effective options on the market. All you need to do is remove your dentures and soak them overnight. This kills unwanted bacteria and helps the dentures to keep their shape, thus extending the life of your dentures and supporting your oral health. Remember to rinse them in the morning to avoid ingesting unwanted chemicals.
- Keep regular appointments with your dentist. At routine check-ups your dentist will check your dentures to see how they are holding up. He will also make sure your dentures are still fitting well. This will prevent formation of sores in the mouth which might lead to infection.
If you follow the above tips you are sure to enjoy a long and healthy life together with your dentures, clean and whole. Of course, if you have any specific questions or concerns regarding your dentures, don’t hesitate to give your dentist a call.